Alaska Young Fishermen's Summit
Building a Network of Future Fishing Leaders
Save the date: December 7–9, 2021, Anchorage, Alaska
Established in 2007 by the Alaska Sea Grant Marine Advisory Program, The Alaska Young Fishermen's Summit (AYFS) is a three-day networking and skill-building conference for new entrants in managing modern commercial fishing businesses. The event is fast-paced, features prominent industry leaders as speakers and mentors, and energizes younger fishermen to network with peers from throughout the state.
What do participants get out of attending?
- Meet, socialize, and talk about issues with other young fishermen from around the state, as well as well-known fishing industry leaders
- Three days of training in the land-based aspects of running a fishing operation: marketing, business management, the fisheries regulatory process, and the science of fisheries management
- Field trips include management meetings, universities, laboratories, hatcheries, legislative offices, etc.
Participants practice public speaking, learn Alaska Board of Fisheries and North Pacific Management Council processes, and collaborate on solutions to issues and topics of importance to the Alaska fishing industry.
Would you like to be an AYFS sponsor?
The Alaska Young Fishermen’s Summit relies on the generous support of fishing associations, skippers, economic development groups, and related businesses. You can be part of AYFS in one of two ways: by helping sponsor an individual participant in your fishery or organization, or by donating directly to the summit.
- Sponsor a participant. If you know a promising young fisherman who you believe could be a future fishing leader, why not approach them about helping to sponsor their way to the summit? You could offer to help with lodging costs, cover their registration fees, use donated miles to get them to the event, or pay their entire way. Helping them out in this way signals your belief in their potential and your interest in their future success. Sponsors are acknowledged on the participant’s name tag and on the printed conference agenda. Contact us for other ideas and information about sponsoring a specific young fisherman.
- In order to keep AYFS financially accessible to young fishermen, we keep registration costs well below the actual cost of the event. We also offer several scholarships to help cover travel expenses for selected attendees. Your donation to the summit, at one of several levels of giving, can help us continue to keep the summit accessible. Contributors are acknowledged in all printed conference materials, on this webpage, and on the AYFS Facebook page. Please contact us for details on how to donate.