Paula Cullenberg is the director of Alaska Sea Grant. She has been the program leader of MAP since 2004, and has also been the MAP coastal community development specialist. She is a professor in the School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences. Paula’s focus is on the sustainability of Alaska’s fishing communities.
Paula brings to Alaska Sea Grant 30 years of experience in Alaska working with commercial fisheries, program management, and rural economic development. Currently she is the chairman of the Board of Directors of the Alaska Marine Safety Education Association and a member of the North Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Rural Outreach Committee. She has been a commercial salmon fisherman in Bristol Bay for over 20 years, and has participated in herring and halibut fisheries around the state. Fifteen years ago, Paula was the MAP extension agent in Bristol Bay, where her first child was born. She is author of Gillnet Hanging and coauthor of Sea Grant's Biological Field Techniques for Chionoecetes Crabs. Formerly director of UAA's North Pacific Fisheries Observer Training Center, she was happy to return to lead the Marine Advisory Program in 2004.
- B.A. Biology, Brown University
- M.S. Fisheries, University of Washington
- University of Alaska’s Fisheries, Seafood and Maritime Initiative
- Chair of the Alaska Marine Science and Fisheries Career Coalition
- Alaska Seafood Processing Leadership Institute
- The Alaska Fisheries Business Assistance Program
- Fishing People of the North, Lowell Wakefield Symposium, September 2011
What I Like to Do
- Go outside! Hike, run, ski, swim, walk and enjoy the wonderful environment that is Alaska.
- Sing, dance and make music with my friends.
- Work with all of the wonderful people at Alaska Sea Grant.
- Cullenberg, P, T.L. Johnson and D. Mercy, 2011. Adapting to Climate Change in Alaska, 17-minute video funded by Alaska Sea Grant College Program and NOAA Alaska Region.
- Baker, T., and P. Cullenberg. 2008. Changing Climate, Changing Alaska’s Fisheries? Alaska’s Seas and Coasts: Marine Issues for Alaska’s People. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Cullenberg, P. (ed). 2007 Proceedings -Alaska’s Fishing Communities: Harvesting the Future Conference. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks. AK-SG-07-02. 106 pp.
- Thayer, G., P.Cullenberg, D. Garza. 2007. Synthesis of Education Programs, Scholarships, Loan and Internship Opportunities Available to Assist in Increasing the Number of Minorities Working in Fisheries and Marine Sciences. NOAA Technical Memorandum NOS NCCOS 53. March 2007.
- Garza, D. and P. Cullenberg, 2006. Increasing the Number of Alaska Natives and Rural Alaskans in Fisheries and Marine Sciences: Review and Recommendations.
- Cullenberg, P. (ed), 2005. Proceedings: Managing Fisheries, Empowering Communities Conference. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, University of Alaska Fairbanks. AK-SG-05-05. 94 pp.
- Cullenberg, P. and Q. Fong. 2005. Wild Salmon Policy. In: Outlaw, J.L. E.G. Smith (eds.) The 2007 Farm Bill: Policy Options and Consequences. Farm Foundation, Oak Brook, IL.
- Dzugan J., D. Ajango, P. Cullenberg. 2004 Review & Evaluation of NMFS Observer Safety Training, Report to the National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Marine Safety Education Association.
- Dzugan J., D.Ajango, P.Cullenberg, 2004 NOAA Fisheries Observer Training Program- Development of a Comprehensive and Effective Emergency Action Plan, Report to the National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Marine Safety Education Association.
- Cullenberg, P. 2004. In: Fishermen’s Direct Marketing Manual. Washington Sea Grant WSG-AS03-03/Alaska Sea Grant MAB-53.
- Cullenberg, P. Contributor. 2003. Ocean Treasure: Commercial Fishing in Alaska by Terry Johnson, Alaska Sea Grant College Program.
- Cullenberg, P. (ed.) 2003. Charting New Courses for Alaska Salmon Fisheries: The Legal Waters. Alaska Marine Resources, Marine Advisory Program. 12 pp.
- Dzugan J, D.Ajango, P.Cullenberg, NMFS Observer Safety Training and Emergency Preparedness: Assessment Tool for Review Process, Report to the National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Marine Safety Education Association, 2003.
- Cullenberg, P. 2002. Fishery Observers, Researchers and Guests: Strategies for the Safety of Visitors on Board. In: Proceedings of the International Fishing Industry Safety and Health Conference. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services.
- Jadamec J., W. Donaldson and P. Cullenberg. 1999. Biological Field Techniques for Chionoecetes Crabs. University of Alaska Sea Grant College Program, AK-SG-99-02, 80 pp.
- Cullenberg, P. Contributor. 1998. Beating the Odds on the North Pacific: A Guide to Fishing Safety, Alaska Sea Grant College Program, Marine Advisory Bulletin No. 41.
- Cullenberg, P. 1995. Commercialization of Arrowtooth Flounder: the Next Step. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on North Pacific Flatfish. Alaska Sea Grant College Program.
- Cullenberg, P. 1990. Subsistence in the 1990’s. Alaska Marine Resource Quarterly. Alaska Sea Grant College Program.