Marine Advisory Agent, Ketchikan
Gary retired from the University of Alaska in 2021.
Provided educational and technical assistance to Alaska's marine resources industries, and marine related outreach to those who live and work in Southern Southeast Alaska.
Oceanography and salmon fisheries. Developed expertise in marine mammal necropsy and disentanglement working with NOAA’s marine mammal stranding network. Worked with research and outreach efforts in the areas of invasive species; baseline marine monitoring, salmon fishery forecasting and assessment. Taught for the UAS Fisheries Technology Program.
- B.S. Chemistry, Philadelphia University
- M.S. Oceanography, Old Dominion University
- UAF Oceanography graduate work
- Since 1972, Gary has been involved with ocean research in many disciplines including marine geology, marine chemistry, marine archaeology, fjord sedimentation dynamics and sea grass surveys. Since 1978, Gary’s primary experience has been in research, evaluation and management of salmon aquaculture programs, first by working for Alaska Department of Fish and Game and more recently working for the Southern Southeast Regional Aquaculture Association for 27 years. He also supported the Alaskan salmon fishery industry by participating in the Pacific Salmon Commission process since 1984.
- Pacific Salmon Commission – Chinook Technical Committee member
- Board of Directors – OceansAlaska marine science center
- NOAA Marine Mammal Stranding Network – Letter holder
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center – Invasive Tunicate SETL program participant - Ketchikan site leader
- NOAA protected resources program – Invasive Green Crab program participant - Ketchikan site leader
- Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment – Mussel Watch Program Ketchikan Site Leader
- Pacific Salmon Commission – Chinook Technical Committee participation
- Marine Mammal Stranding Network Southern Southeast Alaska response leader
- Invasive species monitoring (Tunicates and European Green Crab)
- Blue Mussel Watch Program –Mt Point –Ketchikan sampling
- OceansAlaska marine science center project development
- “Gateway to the Americas” underwater Archeology project
- UAS Fisheries Technology Program Instructor
- Community outreach