- This event has passed.
Introducing Green Infrastructure for Coastal Resilience – Anchorage
September 13, 2018, 9:00 am–4:00 pm AKDTFree
The Kachemak Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve and Alaska Sea Grant are hosting a one-day NOAA Digital Coast training on green infrastructure. This event will be facilitated by NOAA with local guest speakers to describe green infrastructure projects in Alaska. The training will be offered twice: September 11 in Homer at the Islands and Oceans Center and September 13 in Anchorage at Gorsuch Commons at the University of Alaska Anchorage. This web page is for the Anchorage workshop.
“Green Infrastructure” incorporates the natural environment and constructed systems that mimic natural processes in an integrated network that benefits nature and people. A green infrastructure approach to community planning helps diverse community members come together to balance environmental and economic goals.
- Recognize green infrastructure terms and concepts that contribute to community resilience.
- Understand the ecological, economic, and societal benefits of green infrastructure.
- Understand the wide variety of contexts and scales of green infrastructure approaches.
- Identify existing planning processes suitable for integrating green infrastructure, stakeholder engagement techniques, and potential funding opportunities.
- Identify local green infrastructure activities and experts with additional information.
Six hours of certification maintenance credits for this course have been approved by the American Institute of Certified Planners. Five core continuing credits have been approved for certified floodplain managers.
For interested participants of either day, there is an option to sign up for a free 3-hour field site visit on Wednesday, September 12, 12–3 pm. There is a checkbox on the online registration form for signing up for the field trip. For details and schedule, view the PDF flyer for the field trip.
For interested participants of either day, a field trip is planned for Wednesday, September 12 at the Kenai River Center in Soldotna from 12 to 3 PM. Contact organizer for details.