Traditional use of marine resources by Alaska Native cultures, marine mammal management, youth and family marine safety, and intertidal foods.
- Marine Protected Areas Federal Advisory Committee member
- Southeast Subsistence Advisory Council, Vice-chair and member
- The Alaska Sea Otter and Sea Lion Commission, Vice-chair and Southeast Alaska representative
3/83–12/06 — Assistant Professor and Professor, Marine Advisory Program, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Kotzebue, Alaska. Provide marine resource education to residents via workshops and personal contact. Resource management, subsistence and marine mammal policy, and marine safety remain target areas of work.
6/81–9/81 — Fisheries Research Analyst, Sealaska Corporation, Juneau, Alaska. Gathered and analyzed information concerning Native involvement in the Southeast fisheries. The results "An Overview of Fisheries in Southeast Alaska" was prepared for the Board of Directors.
5/80–9/80 — Assistant Wildlife and Parks Officer, Tanana Chiefs Conference, Inc., Fairbanks, Alaska. Established the groundwork for a nonprofit fishermen's marketing association. Organized rural Fish and Game Advisory Committee meetings.
- B.S. Fisheries Biology, University of Alaska, 1980
- M.S. Fisheries Management, University of Washington, 1983
- Ph.D. Marine Policy, University of Delaware, 1996